Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know which independent living community is right for me?
Location, location, location. Many choose their retirement community based on the proximity to family or familiar surroundings. Each Cottage Lifestyle senior living community offers comforting, welcoming and enriching lifestyles that are unique in the industry. Visit each community and choose the one that feels like home!
- Is staff available 24/7 in case a health or medical emergency should arise?
Our Community Manager is available 24/7 — just a phone call away. Our security system is equipped with emergency call buttons that automatically call 911 in case of an emergency. A medical pendent that is tied in to the security system is also available for a one-time charge to cover the purchase of the pendent. Each community is within a 2-3 miles of a hospital, so help is always just minutes away.
- Can the Cottage Lifestyle senior living community patio home be purchased?
No, The Cottage Lifestyle senior living communities are only available for lease.
- How long is the lease?
Each retirement community has a 12 month lease.
- Can my children and grandchildren come to visit?
Absolutely! This is your home and your family is always welcome.
- Do you allow pets?
Of course! We do have a few conditions, however. Dogs should be less than 25 pounds, must be walked on a leash, and residents must pickup after them. A cat must be de-clawed, unless it is old. There is a non-refundable pet fee.
- May I smoke in my home?
Yes, provided you pay a non-refundable smoker fee up front.
- Am I responsible for keeping up my lawn and cleaning my home?
We take care of the yard leaving you to take care of those things that you chose to. If you would like housekeeping we can help arrange for the service.
- Does each independent living community have weekly activities?
Yes, every retirement community has activities most days of the week. To learn more about a community’s specific activities, you may contact the individual communities for more information.
- Are there any required activities?
We have a full range of activities available for those who choose, but nothing is required.
- Does Medicare, Medicaid, or Veteran’s Benefits help pay for independent living at The Cottage Lifestyle senior living communities?
Please contact the Community Manager for information on these benefits.
- Are the patio homes ADA accessible?
- Am I allowed to plant flowers in my yard?
Yes, please feel free to enjoy your yard. However, we do require approval of your plans in advance so that the continuity of community landscaping is preserved. Our landscape service also sells bedding plants of your choice in spring and fall.
- Is cable TV available?
The Cottages provides basic cable service for all leased units. If premium channels are desired, the individual resident is responsible for setting up this service.
- If my husband requires more assistance than I do, can we still live together?
Absolutely! We can help facilitate finding just the right care to come in to your home, keeping you both together as long as possible.
- What happens if I need assisted living?
Our independent living residents are on the priority list for an assisted living suite when the need arises.
- Are meals included with the rent?
The main meal served at 12 noon at our assisted living community is available to our independent living residents. You can enjoy the meal with us in the dining room or the meal can be delivered to your door.
- Is there an extra charge if more than one person lives in a cottage?
No, there is no additional charge.
- Is there any financial assistance available to help pay for assisted living?
Yes, Veteran’s benefits can help pay for assisted living, as well as Long Term Care Insurance.
- Do you provide care for people with Alzheimer’s Disease?
Residents are evaluated on an individual basis to make sure that we can meet their needs. Generally, though, we are not able to care for people with Alzheimer’s Disease, especially those in the middle to late stages of Alzheimer’s.
- Are Home Health Services and Hospice Care allowed in the assisted living community?
- Tell me about your location.
Our location is one of our best attributes. We are located next to a quiet residential neighborhood. The City of Monroe is within 25 minutes of Athens, Conyers, Covington, Snellville and Norcross. Forbes Magazine voted Athens, Georgia, home to the University of Georgia, #5 of the Top 25 Best Place to Retire in 2013!
- How far is the airport or downtown Atlanta?
A trip to the airport or downtown Atlanta can easily be made within an hour.
- What medical facilities are close by?
Piedmont Walton Hospital is ten minutes from our retirement community.
- Are your homes designed for “roommates”?
Our two bedroom and two bedroom with sunroom independent living cottages are ideal for roommates. Each bedroom is large and has its own private full bath.
- Are there walking trails and exercise opportunities close by?
Our senior living community is perfect for walking. We have a large number of walkers that will join you. Because we are a gated community, there is limited traffic. There is an ever-so-slight incline and the road is smooth, perfect for walking! There is a treadmill in our clubhouse if the weather is inclement. Walton County Parks and Recreation offers a beautiful, free-to-seniors gym along with weekly aerobics classes within a few short miles. There are also several walking trails scattered around town.
- Are there restaurants and shopping nearby?
The independent living Cottages are conveniently located between downtown and the lake area. We are directly across the street from the Milledgeville Mall where there are many stores and restaurants to choose from.
The City of Milledgeville’s downtown is thriving! The City of Milledgeville received top honors during the (August) 2013 Georgia Downtown Conference. Milledgeville Main Street is the 2013 Downtown Development Program of the Year; the highest honor a “Main Street Program” can receive. The Milledgeville Main Street downtown program beat out 96 other main street programs across the State of Georgia.
- Are there any golf courses nearby?
Milledgeville has two courses to choose from, Milledgeville Country Club which is a private course, and Little Fishing Creek which is a public course.
- What about senior living activities and am I required to participate?
Community activities are scheduled weekly. The Terrace Times, a monthly newsletter, includes a full calendar of events and activities. You may enjoy as many or as few as you like.
- Are housekeeping services available?
We can and do assist you in reserving housekeeping services for any resident.
- What’s the best way to learn about independent living activities?
Senior Living Community activities are scheduled weekly. A monthly newsletter, The Gables Gabbler, includes a full calendar of events and activities. You may enjoy as many or as few as you like.
- Do you provide meals on site?
Yes. We are able to deliver hot meals from our sister retirement community, The Cottages on Wesleyan, Monday through Friday (except Federal holidays) for an additional cost. Please contact us for additional information.